Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Our Forefathers Forbearance

Craig sent me a blog post, linked in the title of this post, and pointed out that he agreed with the first comment. After reading both the article and the comment, I wanted to save my thoughts here and show how they apply to governance.

I think the commenter is describing a valid point but one that does not mesh with the intent of the original poster's reason for making the statement in question. When Pursiful says, "because there is no knock-down argument for the existence of God, then by definition people are going to disagree about God." he is speaking about forbearance. The quoted statement is just a way of reminding the reader that what constitutes "proof" to one person may not be accepted by another.

The commenter goes on to say
It's one thing if an atheist speaks as if *the atheist* doesn't find it to be conclusive proof of anything because he thinks it is make-believe, but it's another entirely for a Christian to speak as if *the Christian* doesn't find it to be a knock-down argument for God's existence either because of his own unbelief or someone else's.

First, I do not think that Mr. Pursiful is stating that Christ's resurrection is in question, rather he is admitting that what he himself accepts as fact can be held as 'not-fact' by someone else. Secondly, the commenter is falling prey to the same logical fallacy that the article covers.

Let me use an example. I believe that the Earth is round but my brother believes that it is flat. I use a Foucault Pendulum to prove Earth's rotates and thus is round. My brother refuses to accept my proof and instead of trying to convince him further I tell him that he's free to believe the world is flat. In doing so, have I turned my back on my own beliefs? Can it be said that I no longer believe in the Earth as Sphere? No, I do not. He being my brother, I take him as he is rather than harangue him for not agreeing with my beliefs. He's not stupid or evil, he just doesn't believe in something that I do.

An even better example may be the small group of people who deny the Holocaust which is described by the Wikipedia article thusly:
Holocaust denial is widely viewed as failing to adhere to rules for the treatment of evidence, principles that mainstream historians (as well as scholars in other fields) regard as basic to rational inquiry. The prevailing — and indeed virtually unanimous — consensus of mainstream scholars is that the evidence given by survivors, eyewitnesses, and contemporary historical accounts is overwhelming; that this evidence proves beyond a reasonable doubtthat the Holocaust occurred; and that it occurred as these sources say it occurred.

Even if you have perfect evidence to 'prove' God's existence, there would still be those who choose no to believe it. I'm tempted to go into a discussion on epistemology but I doubt the commenter would appreciate a discussion about how we know what we do, the distinction between truth and belief and the limitations of knowledge.

The point is that there are people who will refuse to believe in things easily proven with ample evidence available and instead of the common choices he describes, "we assume that those who disagree with us are either ignorant or evil" he offers a third choice, forbearance.

With regard to governance, the gentlemen who gathered to contemplate a new type of Republic had to deal with this subject head on. How to build a strong society that doesn't let the small divisions between individuals form the cancer that drives men to accumulate power so that they can use the force of the State to control what others are allowed to believe. The heart of the First Amendment is forbearance, the willingness to allow people to believe in things that others do not. The two main political parties engage in battle along this very fault-line every election cycle. Two parties who see the same evidence but reach different conclusions.

Forbearance.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Kelly, I thought I would post our email thread that grew out of this post for posterity. :-) Feel free to respond further in this comment section as you see fit. One disclaimer: the core and direction of this thread is really more suited to a theological-based blog, rather than a blog on governance and constitutional analysis. Still, there is a tie in to the interests of this site for those patient enough to see it through...

Kelly wrote: "I'm not understanding your statement about the debate over infallible popes and inerrant Bibles, could you go into more detail for my addled mind. I've always appreciated your Biblical scholarship and am hoping you'll enlighten me."

Craig's response: My point is the same as Weekend Fisher's in her blog post that I linked to below. While I have thought around the edges of the insight before, I think she articulates it well. In the resurrection we have the ultimate event of God's action in the world to show people the reality of His existence in a way that also shows that He has not abandoned us, that He is fulfilling His promises, and that we can trust Him. Yet most Christians feel like they have to *prove* God's existence through convincing the world that the Bible is inerrant, so it can be trusted, therefore God can be trusted and known to exist. *Or* that the Pope is infallible when he speaks as the vicar of Christ in earth, so the Church can be trusted, therefore God can be trusted and known to exist.

This is exactly backwards. We know (as Christians) that God exists and can be trusted because of His acts in time (this is exactly the opposite of how ancient deities identified themselves, by the way, who were who they were because of their immunity to time), and, oh, by the way, we can read about these acts of this God in the Bible. This is not to denigrate the Bible. I study it every day and it plays a very important place in the life of the believer. But it does not play the role in Christianity that the Koran plays in Islam. The Word of God in Christianity is (first and foremost) Jesus Himself, and that Word is living and fresh and in conversation with us. It is not a a dictation of commands (like yet another structure of legalism that some want to use the Bible or Koran to supply to the world). Rather it is a Word to which we are invited to give a response, a conversation in which we are asked to participate. Perhaps this is the link to the governance paradigm that you were looking for in your original response (in which you make some excellent points, by the way).

But, I fear I have gone too far afield from the original point. That's the problem with this stuff - it all interconnects and one cannot say one thing without feeling like one needs to say another thing. And another.

Craig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: kelly french
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 9:15 AM
To: Craig Gibson

Subject: Re: read the first comment below.


I see your point, well said. I felt that the commenter was claiming that the article's author was discounting the resurrection because he was allowing for those people for whom no amount of evidence would persuade.

I'm not understanding your statement about the debate over infallible popes and inerrant Bibles, could you go into more detail for my addled mind. I've always appreciated your Biblical scholarship and am hoping you'll enlighten me.

------------------------------------
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Craig Gibson wrote:

The commenter was not approaching this from an epistemological or an apologetics perspective. Rather, she is lamenting (wondering about) the fact that Christians allow atheists to frame how Christians themselves approach their faith in God and allow the modern demands of proof to set the standards for how we preach the Gospel. Her point is that Christians *believe already* that God worked in history through the resurrection of Christ, but we almost seem embarrassed by it. That resurrection is the basis of the trustworthiness of the Gospel in the New Testament, but most Christians hardly give it a second thought, discounting it because it was something that might have happened too long ago to make any difference now. One need proceed no further than the entire debate over infallible popes and inerrant Bibles to see that she is right.

I had more to say on this, but the commenter (Weekend Fisher) actually posted a reply on her own blog that is much better than anything I could say.
http://weekendfisher.blogspot.com/2008/06/do-christians-sell-faith-short-part-1.html