Thursday, November 30, 2006

Re: Taboos

I think Craig has a good point about taboos. The general question is how to distinguish between the taboos that are for our own safety, like incest, versus those that appear to be based on superstition, which I can't quite think of a good example. As for the traffic sign removing Europe, I think they are onto something. It does not take very much signage to overwhelm a driver. The irony is here in Texas they actually have signs that say, "Obey warning signs". I hope they aren't afraid of people missing the warning signs because they were too busy reading the "Please read our signs" sign. I do not agree with the premise that removing traffic signs is like removing taboos, if that was the question. I wasn't sure about the connection Craig was making. If the sign-removal is done where traffic is already somewhat slow speed because of congestion, making less destractions and encouraging driver interaction should not only improve traffic-flow but reduce accidents.

Craig, what are some of the taboos that have been toppled of late and which ones are sacrosanct, or should have been?

No comments: